Mutant kiwi: hooray! ~ Ham Pie Sandwiches

15 May 2012

Mutant kiwi: hooray!

farmer's market double kiwi

So here's what you get when you buy kiwi at the farmer's market in California.

DOUBLE KIWI.

farmer's market double kiwi

In some cases you even get triple kiwi.

You know how stores select for the most nonthreatening, standardized, perfectly identical produce? This experience makes that even more obvious.

farmer's market double kiwi

And why? I mean, yeah, it's probably because they don't nest well in standard shipping crates...but come on! Double and triple kiwi look extra gorgeous when you slice them up.

(Yes, I did just eat the equivalent of six kiwis. Why do you ask?)

farmer's market double kiwi

4 comments:

Joanne said...

Those are SO CUTE! I would squeal with joy if I saw them in my supermarket!

Jes said...

Why are kiwis so cute in general? I mean, the smaller and the bigger the better! Ok, well, any of them, love the thought of a double kiwi!

Eileen said...

Hee hee--kiwis are indeed very cute! And I'm not normally a cutesy sort of person.

My friend Abigail suggested a fruit tart with some of these--so that may be happening in the relatively near future! :)

Dining Alone said...

Amazing! I love kiwi so much, I wish I could find some like this!